Silkscreen Printing (Economical Printing method)
1.What is silkscreen printing ?
Silkscreen printing is pretty much one of the most common and popular printing method on any apparel. For starters, it could be easily detected on most of the T-shirts in the market, in the shops. It is just everywhere, as long as you take a closer attention or observe carefully. For people who are curious, here are some information that you might need to know on how does silkscreen printing functions. The method involves the use of blocking stencil, which a mould is created base on the design of your choice. The stencil will be place on the garment to transfer the design onto it by applying pigments. Prints using silkscreen are usually long lasting with great presentation of colours; vivid enough to have your design pops.
This printing will worth every penny of yours with solid design, clear outlines and promising colours. Not only that, silkscreen printing is ideal for large scale orders as it is cheap using one design. Hence, it is what we called as one design for all.
Have a thought to create your corporate shirts for your staffs or gifts for huge events? Couldn’t opt better methods of printing for your huge staff or students on family day or sports day? Or you would just intend to create awareness for your company/ brand but you are on a tight budget? Fret not as silkscreen printing is the best option that you would like to consider.
2. How much is silkscreen printing charges?
1- Dimension of the design
2- Numbers colors of the design
3- Quantity of apparel (T-shirt, Polo Tee, Hoodie and etc) that you order
4- Location of printing
3. Have you heard about half Toning Silkscreen Printing? When does this method being use ?
Toning is apply when your artwork is done with many small dots, and those dots are unable to be printed by using normal silkscreen printing technique. Half-toning will be a very high resolution of artwork, so production only able to create a high quality film positives onto the stencil.
Sample of half-toning
4. What item or apparel can be used for silkscreen?
- Any tshirt material
- Any polo shirt material
- Hoodies or Jackets
- Short Sleeve / Long Sleeve Shirts
- Apron (Polyester or Cotton)
- Blank Fabric
- And many more
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of silkscreen printing ?
- Economical when printing large quantities with one design
- Silkscreen prints are long lasting
- Prints can be used on multiple items
- Solid and vivid colours produced are durable
- Printing small quantities is expensive
- Limited colour as using more colours will cost more
6. Facts to know – History of Silkscreen Printing
Silkscreen printing is one of the oldest printing methods that you could find. Around 1000 years ago, this type of printing method first began in China. It was slowly introduced throughout Asia, including Japan; whereby the silkscreen printing technique was adopted. The technique is refined by these countries in terms of craftsmanship using paints and blocks for printing. Slowly but certainly, it made its way to Europe in the late 1700s. However, it is still not widely used by the people just yet as the method was used for printing on expensive wallpapers, silk or other fine fabrics for the rich. Silkscreen printing was only largely known and accepted when it was officially patented.
7. Want to try doing silkscreen printing on your tsrhit at home? Yes, you can. Here is a tutorial video that lead you to start with your own .